The dead victims were said to have been trapped inside a guard van reserved for security personnel aboard the train.
The accident, which occurred around 7am, reportedly affected the train from the rear and destroyed its two baggage vans, one guard van and a power car.
Our correspondents learnt on Sunday that the accident occurred at the entrance of a railway station in Jebba, a town, which borders Kwara and Niger states.
The train, which left Lagos around noon on Friday and expected in Kano the following day, had about 1,000 passengers.
The Deputy Director, Nigerian Railway Corporation, Mr. Abdulraouf Akinwoye, confirmed the accident to journalists on Sunday, adding that the remains of the dead had been deposited at the mortuary.
He also said that those injured in the accidents were treated at a nearby hospital and had been discharged.
Akinwoye told one of our correspondents on the telephone that the remaining stock of the train were recovered later and cleared to continue with the journey to Kano.
Sequel to the accident, the NRC management team led by its acting Managing Director, Mr. Fidet Okhiria, had reportedly relocated to the Jebba derailment site, with the corporation’s engineers for the assessment of the accident and prompt remedial actions.
It was learnt that the NRC management had commenced investigations into the cause(s) of the accident.
Meanwhile, Okhiria was reported in a statement by Akinwoye to have sympathised with families of the deceased and injured victims.
He described the accident as unfortunate and urged train passengers not to be discouraged, adding that necessary efforts had been taken to intensify the safety and security measures on all intra-and inter-state train services.
The NRC boss also said that relevant officials of the NRC were already at Jebba, the site of the accident, working to ensure that the damaged track was restored.
He added that all trains across the rail network nationwide were moving normally.