Thursday , September 29 2022
Breaking News
Home / News / Power Crashes To Zero Megawatt
3D Electric powerlines over sunrise

Power Crashes To Zero Megawatt

3D Electric powerlines over sunrise
3D Electric powerlines over sunrise

Nigeria’s power generation collapsed to zero megawatt around 1pm on Thursday, and the situation lasted for about three hours.

Data from the country’s system operator showed that no power generation company produced a single megawatt of electricity throughout that period.

Babatunde Fashola, minister of power, works and housing, said the sudden downing of the three turbines at the Jebba Hydro power station was responsible for the situation.

Fashola, who said the power in the country was inadequate, said the faulty turbines had been fixed.

“Yesterday morning, we had some outages in Jebba. I have just been informed now that out of all the four turbines that were down, three have been restored, so there is stability now,” he said.

“There is not enough power in the country and how do you share what is not enough? It’s difficult, if not impossible. What we need to do is to get more power on.”

Fashola said the challenges will not prevent the current administration from fulfilling its promise of generating 10,000 megawatts.

Meanwhile, the minister has resolved the dispute between Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) and Geometric Power Limited.

Prior to the development, the two companies were in contention over who would supply power to Aba and its environs.

Fashola described the truce between as a historic achievement in the sector, expressing appreciation to Vice-President Yemi Osinbanjo, whom he said initiated the process of settling the dispute six months ago.

He said the people at Aba and Ariaria markets would now have electricity to boost their businesses.

Fashola also said that though there were challenges due to vandalism and theft of power equipment, the industry’s future was still bright.

He explained that the 200 megawatts of power generated by Geometric would add to the available power in the country.

Bartholomew Nnaji, Fashola’s predecessor, who witnessed the signing of agreement between the companies, expressed gratitude to the president, vice president and the permanent secretary in the ministry for their efforts in resolving the dispute out of court.

Tokunbo Kayode, also a former minister of power, said the signing of the agreement will fast track development in Aba and its environs.

Comments

comments

Check Also

Senate: Lawan surrenders, says I won’t appeal judgement

President of the Senate Ahmad Lawan, has said that he will not appeal the judgment …

NECO Releases 2022 SSCE Results

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has released the results for the 2022 SENIOR School Certificate …

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com