Saturday , November 27 2021
Breaking News
Home / News / Judge Hands-off Saraki’s Case Over On-line Media Reports

Judge Hands-off Saraki’s Case Over On-line Media Reports

SarakiJustice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court, Abuja on Wednesday hands-off a case, filed by Senate President, Bukola Saraki challenging his trial before the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

Mohammed said he decided to hands-off the case following an on-line publication alleging that he had made unsuccessful efforts to stop Saraki from being tried by the tribunal.

The judge, who denied the allegation, however, ordered that the case file be remitted to the Chief Judge of the court, Justice Ibrahim Auta, for re-assigning to another judge.

He said that the decision was taking in the interest of justice.

“ My attention has been drawn to some publications in the social media against my person with regards to this case.

“ In the said publications, it was alleged that I have tried unsuccessfully to stop the Code of Conduct Tribunal from trying Sen. Olubukola Saraki.

“ I have never made restraining order against any of the defendants, in particular, the code of conduct tribunal, via a motion ex-parte or any motion at all,’’ he said.

Mohammed added that the court was conversant with the workings of the tribunal and would not grant ex-parte order to stop any public institution from carrying out its statutory duties.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalled that Saraki had dragged the Federal Ministry of Justice, Chairman, Code of conduct tribunal to the court challenging his arraignment before the tribunal.

Justice Mohammed had reportedly granted an ex-parte order summoning the defendants to appear before his court to show cause, why Saraki should be prosecuted before the tribunal over the alleged offences of false assets declaration.

It will also be recalled that the court of appeal had declined the same ex-parte application granted by the judge and ordered that Saraki should appear before the tribunal

The Senate President had been arraigned before the tribunal on a 13-count charge bordering on false assets declaration.

He had pleaded not guilty to the charges before the tribunal.
Source: NAN.

Comments

comments

Check Also

BREAKING: Kaduna Govt Announces Restoration Of Telecom Services

The Kaduna  Government has announced restoration of Telecommunication services in the state. The restoration is …

Nigeria Air Will Begin Operations With Three Leased Aircrafts- FG

The federal government of Nigeria says Nigeria Air will commence operations in wet-leased aircraft in …

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com