The leadership of the National Assembly said they have not fixed a date for the National Assembly to reconvene to consider the N242 billion budget for the 2019 elections.
Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki and Speaker of the House of Representatives,Hon. Yakubu Dogara, disclosed this in a statemnet jontly signed by their Special Advisers on Media and Public Affairs, Yusuph Olaniyonu and Turaki Hassan,
They called on all members of the National Assembly as well as the general public to note that no date had been set for the reconvening of the Federal Legislature.
According to them, some relevant committees, whose reports are supposed to be considered upon the reconvening of the National Assembly are yet to meet and as such there is no report to be considered.
“The Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki and Speaker, House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara, have directed that we inform all Senators, Honorable members and the public that a date has not been set for the reconvening of the Senate and the House of Representatives to consider the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) 2019 elections budget request forwarded by President Muhammadu Buhari on July 17, 2018.
“The leadership of the two chambers had met and agreed to reconvene to consider the proposal this week before which a meeting between the Joint Senate and House of Representatives Committees on Electoral Matters and officials of the INEC must have held on or before Monday August 13, 2018.
“The joint committees were also expected to meet with the joint Senate and House Committees on Appropriations, Loans and Debts on the Eurobond loan request after which two reports would have been ready for presentation in the two chambers.
“However, no such meeting had taken place yet as a result of which both Senate and House of Representatives cannot reconvene as there is no report to consider.
“Until the Committees have a ready report for the consideration of the two chambers, it will be most irresponsible to recall members from recess especially those that may have traveled to Saudi Arabia for the Hajj,” the statement said. said.