Sunday , October 25 2020
Breaking News
Home / Foreign News / 26 dead as gunmen fire on bus carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt

26 dead as gunmen fire on bus carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt

Twenty-six people have been killed in Egypt after unidentified gunmen opened fire on a bus carrying Coptic Christians in what officials are calling a terror attack.

Ten assailants wearing fatigues and face masks fired on the passengers from three four-wheel drive vehicles, Egypt’s Interior Ministry told CNN.
The Christians were traveling Friday to a monastery, St. Samuel the Confessor, around 100 km (62 miles) northwest of the city of Minya when they came under fire, the ministry said.
Twenty-five others were also injured, some of whom are now in critical condition, Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Mugahed told state-run TV al-Masriya. Men, women and children are among the dead and injured, and 50 ambulances are now at the scene, he said.
The attack comes as the country is still under a three-month state of emergency period following twin attacks on Coptic churches on Palm Sunday last month that killed dozens of people, in attacks claimed by ISIS.
It was not immediately clear who was responsible for the shooting, but Coptic Christians have been targeted by ISIS militants several times in recent years and ongoing violence has triggered a mass exodus of Coptic Christians from some towns.

Comments

comments

Check Also

THE TOYIN FALOLA INTERVIEWS

Conversation with Honorable Kojo Yankah   Hon. Yankah (left) with Prof. Falola   About this …

US President Trump, Wife Test Positive For Coronavirus

United States President, Donald Trump and his wife, Melania have contracted COVID-19. Trump announced this …

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com