Chairman and Founder of Daar Communications, Raymond Dokpesi has tendered an apology to Asiwaju Bola Ahmed, national leader of All Progressives Congress(APC) over a documentary titled” Lion Of Bourdillion” aired on African Independent Television(AIT) during the build up to 2015 general election.
Tinubu had filed a N150 million suit alleging that the documentary was false and libelous aimed at damaging his reputation.
However, the DAAR communications filed counter claim of N200 billion claiming the documentary was not false and that it contents were fact that has been in public domain for over 2 decades.
In December 2015, the case was brought before Iyabo Akinkugbe of the Lagos High Court which was later referred to Alternative Dispute Resolution.(ADR).
On resumption of proceedings on Monday, the counsel to Daar Communications, Mike Ozekhome informed the court of his client’s wish to settle out of court and Wole Olanipeku, counsel to Bola Tinbu did not object.
The judge adopted the terms of settlement and which include a daily retraction of the broadcast over a period of quarter a year and apology letter signed by Dokpesi.
Dokpesi apology letter reads:
Retraction and Apology by DAAR Communications Plc to Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Further to the terms of settlement in Suit No: ID/196GCMW/2015 between Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Daar Communications Plc filed as a result of the broadcast of a documentary titled ‘Lion of Bourdilon’ and which terms were adopted at the High Court of Lagos State on 5th February, 2016 as the judgment of the court, the defendant, Daar Communication Plc, hereby retract and apologise to Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as follows:
1. Daar Communications Plc, acknowledges that Asiwaju Bola Tinubu is an outstanding political leader of unblemished character and integrity, as well as a leading public figure and opinion moulder who has made and continues to make immense, colossal and gargantuan contributions to the progress and development of the nation in general. And Lagos State in particular.
2. Daar Communications Plc admits that in airing the said documentary, it had no intention whatsoever to embarrass or diminish the high reputation of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu which it respects and attests to.
3. Daar Communications Plc hereby makes a public and unequivocal retraction of the said documentary titled ‘Lion of Bourdilon’, which was broadcast on its television station, AIT.
4. Daar Communications Plc hereby tenders unreserved apology to Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu for the broadcast of the documentary on its television station, AIT.
5. Daar Communications Plc prays that Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu will live long to make more enormous contributions to the advancement of our nation, Nigeria, Lagos State and the world at large.