Abdullahi Mukhtar, Chairman of the commission, who made this known at a news conference in Abuja, said the victims were responding to treatment in the holy land.
He did not name the victims, but he said two of them are from Kaduna State and the third is from Gombe State. He expressed deep shock over the sad incident, but assured the public that it would not affect this year’s exercise in any way.
Media reports say at least 103 people were killed and more than 200 injured in the incident. “On the commission’s part, we have advised the various states pilgrims’ board not to allow their pilgrims to go close to the Grand Mosque for now,” Mukhtar said.
“They have adhered strictly to our directive and it is yielding positive results.” Mukhtar also disclosed that 53,800 pilgrims had so far been transported to Saudi Arabia as at Saturday. He promised that the remaining prospective pilgrims would be transported to the holy land before the deadline of September 18.