Wednesday , October 21 2020
Breaking News
Home / News / Labour Crisis: 34 Nigerian Workers Lose Jobs At Microsoft

Labour Crisis: 34 Nigerian Workers Lose Jobs At Microsoft

NLC-LogoA labour crisis at the Nigerian office of Microsoft’s phone division began on Thursday with 34 of the 40 Nigerian employees sacked from the establishment.

The pruning of staff strength in the company came 24 hours after Miccrosoft’s latest Windows 10 was made available in Nigeria and 189 other countries.

Although Windows 10 is now available as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 operating systems, or with new personal computers and tablets, industry experts said it would leave about 15 million Nigerian payments cards prone to hacking.
Although employees at the Nigerian office have kept mute on the matter, sources close to the company said that the downsizing was part of the global decision of Microsoft to streamline its phone division.

Indeed, the sacking was in line with the massive layoff of workers “sweeping through the global offices of Microsoft’s phone division.”
Earlier in June, Satya Nadella, Chief Executive Officer, Microsoft, had said in a memo to all Nigerian employees that the company needed to make some “tough choices” in areas that were not working.

The memo had stated that 7,800 jobs would be cut from the mobile division working on Windows Phone hardware.
Nadella’s email to the employees read, “We are moving from a strategy to grow a standalone phone business to a strategy to grow and create a vibrant Windows ecosystem, including our first-party device family.

“In the near-term, we’ll run a more effective and focused phone portfolio, while retaining capability for long-term reinvention in mobility.
“Microsoft was committed to our first-party devices, including phones, but needed to focus its phone efforts in the near term.”
He said the company will also write off $7.6bn from the acquisition of Nokia, though it only paid $7.2bn for the company in 2014.
“The future prospects for the phone hardware segment were below original expectations due to the new plans,” Nadella added.

The Microsoft boss said that the news would “surely leave an unclear future for Windows Phone.”
He said the company would run a more effective phone portfolio in the near future, “But that doesn’t exactly throw the company’s weight behind the platform,” he added

He said that the move would not give partners reassurance that the platform was a good choice to build new hardware or apps for the future.
“Microsoft is also pushing ahead to release Lumia flagships this year and is still actively developing Windows 10 mobile,” he added.

By Patrick Aigbokhan

Comments

comments

Check Also

Full Text : Sanwo Olu State-Wide Broadcast on #EndSARS Protest

Dear Lagosians,   I address you today with a heavy heart, but not just as …

BREAKING: TVC On Fire

Television Continental is currently on fire. The TV station is said to be linked to …

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com